Sprucing up your bedroom? The addition of pillows (and the pillow arrangement) on your bed makes a considerable difference. Style them right and watch them bring fluff and flavor to your bedroom while serving functional purposes, too!
Pillows add dimension to a room — and increase texture if you use fun pillowcases. They also provide a great way to add a pop of color to your space. And, of course, they’re fantastic to lay upon and doze off into your dreams. The best part is, that pillows (and pillowcases) are easy to change up while decorating for different seasons.
But hold up — styling a bed with pillows is not as easy as it sounds. You should have a good decorating eye and a sense of style to make the most of those pillows. For some people, this decorating eye comes naturally. For others, not so much. The latter can still style their space with just a little inspiration and the right advice, though.
In that regard, consider this article your comprehensive guide on how to style a bed with pillows. From different pillow sizes to decorating varying bed sizes, we’ll be covering it all! Stick around till the end for a bunch of helpful FAQs, too.
So, sit against your most comfortable pillow as we go learn all about it!
Types Of Pillows For Styling A Bed
There are more types of pillows than you’d know what to do with. Lucky for you, we’ve put together the top pillows types you should know about to style a bed:
- Standard pillows — measuring 20 by 26 inches, these are the most common types of pillows. They are suitable for all bed types and are usually made of polyester or cotton.
- Feather pillows — these are soft and fluffy, usually made from the feathers of ducks and/or geese.
- Foam pillows — these are made from chunks (or sometimes solid pieces) of foam. They are inexpensive and super soft.
- King and Queen Pillows — King pillows are the largest types, while queen pillows are slightly longer than the standard type.
- Throw pillows — these are small decorative pillows available in a variety of textiles. You can find them in silk, linen, velvet, cotton, and more.
- Neckroll pillows — these are cylindrical rolls that add to the aesthetics and provide comfort and support to the neck. A similar, slightly longer alternative is bolster pillows.
- Euro pillows — square pillows used mostly behind standard pillows, euro pillows serve mainly decorative purposes.
Keep reading for more pillow types in the pillow size chart below!
Pillow Sizes (Pillow Size Chart)
Pillows come in a vast variety of sizes; from standard to queen to king, there are multiple options available in the market.
Generally speaking, pillow sizes can be categorized into the following pillow size chart:
How To Arrange Pillows On A Bed
There are several factors to consider before reaching the final pillow arrangement for your bed:
1. Pay Attention To The Headboard
If your bed doesn’t have a headboard, you should opt for a minimalist arrangement — preferable stacking — of pillows. High headboards (roughly over 2 feet) do well with an elaborate pillow arrangement.
Additionally, if your headboard has detailing, you’d want to keep it minimal with the pillows to allow the design to make a statement. As such, solid, plain headboards are the most versatile when it comes to styling with pillows.
2. Decide The Color Patterns
Pick the color scheme for your pillows based on the pattern of your room. If your bedroom is otherwise neutral-hued, you can stick to beiges and greys to complement the existing theme. Alternatively, you can take the chance to add a burst of color through bright-colored and patterned pillows.
3. Consider The Overall Theme
Do you want a minimalist, streamlined arrangement or something more luxurious with a plethora of decorative pillows? Be sure to choose your style before you get styling
How To Style A King-Sized Bed With Pillows
The simple answer is — there are lots of ways! Some famous favorites (in regard to back-to-front pillow arrangements) are:
- Stack 3 king pillows on either side (making a total of 6 pillows divided into two columns)
- Stack 2 king pillows on either side, placing a euro pillow at the front
- Lean 2 king pillows against the headboard and 2 standard pillows against these king pillows. You can also complement with two to three deco pillows at the front
- Lean 3 standard pillows against the headboard, proceeding forward with 3 euro pillows
- Lean 3 euro pillows against the headboard, followed by 2 king pillows and then 2 standard ones
How To Style A Queen-Sized Bed With Pillows
Since a queen-sized bed has a smaller size than its king counterpart, the pillow arrangement must also be relatively understated. Here are a few ideas that look absolutely stunning:
- Stand 2 queen pillows upright against the headboard, followed by 2 euro pillows and 1 smaller deco pillow at the front
- Lean 2 queen pillows against the headboard, followed by 2 standard pillows, 2 euro pillows, and 1 boudoir pillow
- Place two stacks of queen pillows against the headboard and complement them with 2 deco pillows and 1 neckroll (or bolster) pillow
How To Style A Twin Bed With Pillows
Twin beds are much smaller than the above two types, so the pillow arrangement is tentatively divided into two sections — one for each twin bed. Here are two ways to spruce up your twin bed(s) with pillows:
- Lean a euro pillow against the headboard. Proceed towards the front with a standard pillow, followed be a deco (or neck) pillow
- Stand a standard pillow upright against the headboard and pair it with two deco pillows
Repeat these for your identical twin bed for a stunning, symmetrical look!
How To Style A Single Bed With Pillows
A single bed is similar to a twin bed, except you’ll mostly find it as a single piece rather than two. So, you can go slightly overboard with the pillow arrangements here. Some ideas include:
- Stack 2 standard pillows in front of the headboard. Place a euro pillow in front, followed by a smaller deco pillow.
- Lean a queen-size pillow (we recommend a floral silk pillowcase for this) against the headboard, followed by two throw pillows.
Pro Tip: For all the pillow arrangements above, play around with color, pattern, and texture. You can keep it minimalist with light colors and simple patterns, or you can make it eclectic by mixing a fusion of patterns and hues. What’s more, you can put together several textures, including fur, velvet, and silk.
Before we wind up this blog post, let’s answer some of the most frequently asked questions to clear any queries you may have in mind.
How can I style a bed without throw pillows?
Throw pillows add a beautiful decorative touch, but you can spruce up your space without them, too. King beds are large and so, the hardest to decorate without these. But using stacks of 3 king/standard pillows against the headboard will do.
You can do the same using lesser pillows for smaller sizes, i.e., stacks of two for queen and single beds.
How many euro pillows should I use for a king-sized bed?
This depends on how you aim to style with euro pillows. But the short answer would be: anywhere between one to three.
If you’re using them against the headboard, you’ll need three lined up parallel to each other to cover the space. If you’re using them in between, two will do the trick, while a single euro pillow will suffice if you’re placing it at the end of the pillow arrangement.
How many pillows should I use for a queen-sized bed?
Ideally, you’d need two queen pillows, two standard pillows, and two to three decorative (or accent) pillows. You can place these in multiple different ways to achieve fun pillow arrangements. For example, you could start with queen pillows at the back, proceeding towards the front with standard and decorative pillows.
Alternatively, you could stack the queen and standard pillows, placing two decorative pillows at the front, complimented with a smaller one at the absolute end.
If you aim to style a bed with pillows, you know it’s not as easy as simply tossing in several different pillows. You first need to know about different types and sizes of pillows — from king and queen to euro and deco, there are multiple options to learn about.
Once you have a hang of these, you have to pay attention to your bed size and the type of headboard you have. Simultaneously, you have to consider the overall theme and feeling you wish to achieve with your pillow arrangements.
Finally, you have to mix and match different types of pillows, playing around with colors and textures, to greatly uplift your bedroom interior. And in that regard, the pillow arrangement ideas given in this blog post are a great place to get inspiration from — though you can take them as a starting point to put together your very own pillow arrangement!
Which pillow arrangement is your favorite? Try it out in your bedroom and share how you like it in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you!